Monday, April 5, 2010

Orange Blossom Cupcakes

orangeblossom

Who doesn't love those little Hostess Cupcakes?

You know the one's with the cute little white swirly that goes across them?

Of course the Chocolate is good but me I LOVE the orange ones, I always have. There's just something about those little orange cupcakes that makes me smile from ear to ear. So I've been fiddling around with the idea of recreating those beauties for awhile now, and when I finally put my idea's into action...ohh boy. Let's just say my stomach was quite satisfied!


Here's how I did it!

I decided I wanted Yellow Cake with Orange Buttercream, although that was a tough desicion. I kept going back and forth...Vanilla Buttercream and Orange Cupcakes or Yellow cake with Orange Buttercream!?! Anyway...I grabbed my favorite boxed Cake Mix...


Dec 09- Jan 10 150


Whipped that up and stuck those puppies in the oven.
Next I brought out my new best friend, my PINK KITCHENAID STAND MIXER (i'm working on naming her. what? nobody else named their stand mixer? hmmph), and started on the buttercream. I had bought this stuff a few months ago and never used it, HOW CONVIENT!

Dec 09- Jan 10 234

Emlusion is much stronger than extract so a little goes a long way.

Orange Buttercream

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
1 teaspoon orange emlusion
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons milk

Makes about 3 cups of icing.

In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.


forblog1


So pretty! I added a little orange coloring for kicks.


Super Cute, I can't even take it.


Dec 09- Jan 10 210


Dec 09- Jan 10 208

And talk about DELISH!
MMM HMM!


Dec 09- Jan 10 228



I advise you to make these in the near near future or, if you're not good at the whole baking thing.. just give me a call i'll whip 'em up for ya! :)


♥ ♥ ♥

No comments: